Saturday, September 02, 2006

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

I just read this book for a Virtual Book Club called "The Written Word". Stephanie has been posting questions and is taking requests for the next book in our "VBC". I enjoyed this book for many reasons, one of which is its insight into Chinese culture. The novel is set in the late nineteenth century and includes foot binding, arranged marriages, gender roles, women's friendships and familial relationships. It's a great book and I do recommend it. I also urge you to check out "The Written Word".

2 Comments:

At September 4, 2006 at 12:09 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

OK, I've been a slacker book club member. Nursing school started three weeks ago & I'm up to my eyelids in medical books. None of which are as interesting as this books seems.

School is starting to slow down a bit & I will be picking this up at the library soon. So I won't be reading any of the Written Word comments, since I don't want to spoil anything. But the questions posted on the site are thought provoking & I'll be hopping over fashionably late when I'm done. Ha, ha!

 
At September 4, 2006 at 12:16 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

Gosh, you think nursing school is more important than leisure reading? Where are your priorities?

All kidding aside, I do recommend the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home