Tuesday, September 05, 2006

It's the end of summer, you can spin the light to gold*

Not since my childhood have I been so sad about the thought of this season coming to a close. This was our first full summer with Buttons and it flew by so fast. So. Fast. And I know that the seasons will come and go faster every year. Summer isn't even my favorite season because it's so hot. I love autumn and always look forward to the cool breezes, the fall color and the fragrance of the wind. However, I can't help but have a bit of the end-of-summer blues. We'll still go to the park, play with sand, and take walks, but Buttons hanging out at home in a just a diaper will probably never happen again (she has a strong interest in the potty). We just put away some of her"baby" toys too, so I'm really feeling time rushing by me. I'm hoping to "spin the light to gold" and look forward to the fall. Currently, I'm immersing myself in knitting, planning patterns and have started yet another project. (And of course doing all I can to enjoy these last lazy days of summer with Buttons.) What do y'all do for these seasonal blues?

*Title refers to the Dar Williams song "End of Summer".

5 Comments:

At September 5, 2006 at 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe me, I know how you feel. Little J just recently got a "big girl bed" (she was previously on a futon on the floor) and has also started not needing her precious stuffed monkey with her at all times. She's growing up. That makes every season so much sweeter.

As for this time of year, I love it too. Especially Indian Summer. And the best thing about fall - need I say, the knitting!

 
At September 5, 2006 at 10:48 AM, Blogger wzgirl said...

Hi KatieJ! Ya know, I love Fall, so I'm happy to see the end of summer - means the beginning of knitting season! It really is a Fall/Winter sport...

Take care, hugs to Buttons!

 
At September 5, 2006 at 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the end of summer as well. And especially for reasons you just enumerated. I suppose at the beginning of every summer, I am always full of plans and idea for the next three months, and then it seems the days fly and suddenly it's getting dark out earlier and I haven't visited the famers market as often as I would have liked. I feel guilty about complaining (to myself, only to myself) that 98 degrees really is the tiniest bit too hot. Sigh.

Time to plan for Halloween costumes and pumpkin picking.

 
At September 5, 2006 at 7:42 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

Thanks guys! One of my relatives has said to me they were always happy when their children would go on to the next step. Yes, I'm happy, but there's a bittersweetness (is that a real word?) about saying goodbye to these milestones and it's good to know others feel the same way.

On to knitting!

 
At September 7, 2006 at 9:33 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I welcome each season for what it brings. When fall arrives I really enjoy turning off the AC and opening all the windows. The air feels so much cleaner to me when it is cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home