Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Friends and Beer

Buttons and I go to a playgroup once a week with some wonderful women and children. After our most recent visit, we came home and ate lunch and started talking about friends. I asked her to name her friends thinking the list would include the kids we just saw. She told me "Shika", which is a name she came up with out of the blue one day and I'm not sure who it refers to except it's her favorite name. This gave me a chuckle and when I asked her to name other friends, she said "Mama". I lapped this up and yes, I know when I have to choose between being her friend and being her mother, I must choose to be her mama, but I'm going to etch that moment into my brain and remember it fondly when the teen years hit.

And now for something completely different...
This weekend my hubby dropped a hint that we only had one beer left in the house. He has been working long hours and has a presentation tomorrow, so after grocery shopping with Buttons I decided to buy beer. I tell Buttons we're on our way to the beer store to take some home.

Buttons: Beer....home! (extremely excitedly)

Me: Buttons, you can't even drink beer!

Buttons: Mama beer!

Then I laughed as I drove to the beer store and hoped that her joy about this alcoholic beverage doesn't make the clerk think I may be giving beer to a minor. I live in what I call a semi-dry state, but when you go to the beer store you have to buy a case of beer. (Yeah, go figure.) When I purchased the case, Buttons in tow, the man carried the beer out to the car for me and told me to just watch the little one because of all the cars that come flying into the parking lot. Perhaps I will restrain from taking Buttons to the beer store from now on since it seems in one way or another I'm missing out on "mother of the year".

4 Comments:

At September 6, 2006 at 9:23 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Awwww, very sweet. You can be her Mom AND friend.

An icy cold beer sounds good - I'll be over in an hour. :0)

 
At September 7, 2006 at 11:08 AM, Blogger wzgirl said...

I love Button's stories!

 
At September 7, 2006 at 11:43 PM, Blogger Mom O Matic said...

Button is adorable! Can I have her?

Last Sunday my husband was laying down on the couch. My son walked in with a beer and handed it to daddy saying, "I thought you looked thirsty." Of course he was just buttering him up for a juice filled sippy cup (his ultimate beverage!)

 
At September 10, 2006 at 5:00 PM, Blogger Millicent said...

What a great picture!! And I love the conversations you have with Buttons. She's a most insightful young woman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home