Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Good Times and Assumptions

First off, read this post by my friend Marsha to find out how I spent last night. Oh, what fun! Above, you will find a picture of the delicious chocolates my Secret Pal sent me. Yummy. Also, the national election results today make me a very happy woman. See, good news and I am happy.

However, something happened at my local gym today that is giving me pause. I've been working out regularly for a few months now while Buttons stays in the "playroom". Buttons has had a bit of an adjustment, but is now pretty comfy there. Mostly. Today, when we walked into the playroom, our friend, 2 year-old"Helen" was already there and we said hello. One of the women who work there, "Monica", said "oh, you already know Helen. When she came in, I thought Buttons would be really happy to see her." Ok, Helen is Japanese, this was her first time in the nursery and what I assume Maureen was saying "hey, here is another Asian child, so they will have so much in common and maybe this will help Buttons be more comfy." At 2, I don't think kids have a sense of all this yet. I know my brother pointed out his buddy in pre-school by telling us he was the kid in the corner with the curly hair. His buddy also happened to be African-American. I don't know. I'm still working through why this chaps me and what to do about it, so I don't really have an ending for this post that ties it all together cause it's still messing around in my brain.

Tomorrow I hope to do a knitting post.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At November 8, 2006 at 11:05 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

Hmmm. Do you think it's possible that the playroom worker wasn't saying "Look, it's another Asian kid" but "Look, it's another two-year-old"?

 
At November 9, 2006 at 7:33 AM, Blogger Katie J said...

I suppose it is possible, but in my experiences with her, my guess is that it's the Asian thing, not the two-year-old thing. I'm still pondering though. It's not the worst thing in the world, I just don't always know what to do in those situations. I guess you pick your battles.

 
At November 9, 2006 at 8:59 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Yep, pick you battles. Sorry you had to deal with such ignorance - it's hard not to be flip.

BTW, could the election results be any better? NOPE! What a relief! We're some happy Democrats over here.

 
At November 10, 2006 at 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sooooo excited by the election results. I listened to the reports while I was at work, it made scooping 30 lbs of chocolate chewy batter much easier (imagine 30 lbs of goopy, sticky, chocolatey meringue and a scoop the size of a tablespoon). It was a long night and I didn't realize until I got home that I was covered with angelfood cake batter too. Did I mention the midnight breakfast after work at an all night diner?
Also, I would just shrug off the behaviour of the gym chick. She was probably just referring to the girls ages and was totally unaware of how what she said sounded. It's that whole "put brain in gear, process, then open mouth" thing.
:-)
tart diva

 
At November 10, 2006 at 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I'm glad you enjoyed the chocolates!
diva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home