Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Anal-Retentive Chef



Did you ever see Phil Hartman as the anal-retentive chef on SNL? He plays the host of a cooking show who is anal-retentive/OCD. He wraps his garbage in aluminum foil, then in a plastic ziploc bag, then in the garbage. His vegetables need to be cut just so and very uniformly or he throws them away.

Then there is me with play-do. Buttons has been very excited by play-do and we have lots of it left over from Halloween (our treat this year). Oh, the angst of white play-do with little flecks of all the colors and then eventually turning some nasty taupe color. So, she's playing and I'm thinking, don't fold that over and get it all smushed in the white or it will no longer be pristine. However, my thoughts did not funnel out through my mouth. I sat back, laughed, and let it all happen. No foil, no ziploc bag, no hesitation...just fun. I know this has and will continue to be a theme for me, but I'm so glad that Buttons is teaching me the ways to be a kid again.

Just have to say how much I miss Phil Hartman. What a talent and what a sad end. I also mean no offense to people who are truly dealing with OCD. I sometimes feel I have a bit of it, but realize there are people out there who are in a great deal of pain over this disease.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At November 2, 2006 at 11:52 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

Ah, I miss Phil Hartman, too. We probably remember him from such films as...

 
At November 2, 2006 at 11:55 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

Yes, Marsha I get the reference. Thank you for making me smile.

 
At November 3, 2006 at 12:26 AM, Blogger wzgirl said...

I miss Phil, too. The anal-retentive chef was very absolutely one of my favorites. What with all of the staples & tape...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home