Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bittersweet Language

Buttons is growing. Her language is changing. She used to say "phlone" instead of phone and "Didah" instead of Dinah (our kitty). Her favorite cup was a Pooh cup but when she said it, it sounded like bull crap.

She's writing letters and putting them together in fascinating ways. I am now receiving many notes and being asked "what does this spell Mama?" Sometimes she spells "rooroa", but sometimes she spells out real words like "poop". Before we know it she's going to be reading and then a whole new world opens up for her. I'm truly excited, but it's bittersweet to watch her grow. It's going so fast that I'm trying to enjoy the moments while they're here and not looking back too much to revel in where we've been.

Oh, she still says "brefdast" instead of breakfast and she sings "I just can't wait to be a king" instead of "I just can't wait to be king", but she has mad language skills. She now speaks in complete complicated sentences that include words like actually and phrases like "as for me".

She still wants me to snuggle her in the night when she has a bad dream and the good thing about all this language is she can tell me about the things that scare her. I love listening to her and I try to imagine what it was like when she didn't say anything but goo-goos and gaa-gaas. We seemed to have plenty of ways to communicate then, but now? I can't even begin to tell you. We've started reading the original Pooh series at night and she will make jokes about it during other times of the day. It floors me and I'm thrilled by it. She's smart, funny and someone I'm very happy to know.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home