Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Ghanouj Family

Our CSA is ripe with eggplants. In my life I have rarely purchased the beautiful purple suckers much less made them a part of our weekly menu. Mostly we've been adding a little olive oil, salt and pepper and grilling them with other veggies. Last week I put together a wonderful eggplant parmesan without using a recipe(!) and holy cow that is a labor intensive dish. Along with making eggplant more often now, we also talk about them regularly. I've told a few people I'm thinking of making baba ghanouj (pronounced ganoosh) and apparently my girl does have big ears. Today at lunch, pretty much out of the blue, she starts talking about mama ghanouj and baby ghanouj and baba ghanouj and Buttons ghanouj. This makes even more sense if you know that although she has started calling Hubby "daddy", for her first year and a half he was known as "baba", the Chinese word for daddy. So we have become Baba Ghanouj, Mama Ghanouj and Buttons Ghanouj, the Ghanouj family.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At September 1, 2007 at 8:28 PM, Blogger Beth said...

How funny is that? LOL! Did you carve those eggplant?

 
At September 2, 2007 at 1:00 AM, Blogger Katie J said...

I didn't carve the eggplants. I found that picture on the web.

 
At September 3, 2007 at 8:43 PM, Blogger insanemommy said...

I do eggplant once a month. Yes, you are right eggplant Parmesan is labor intensive. But do worth it.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 7:40 AM, Blogger walternatives said...

We're trying to like our CSA eggplant but it's not working. Maybe THIS ghanouj recipe will be the golden ticket. Thanks for sharing the cute story, Mama G.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 9:31 AM, Blogger wzgirl said...

Hahhhaaa! Mama Ganouj! That is a good one. Maybe even a great one - would make for a fun, cool name for an Indian restaurant. Or catering company.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 9:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yummy! I don't buy eggplants often, but I do love eggplant parmesan and baba ghanouj. Love the pictures!

 
At September 4, 2007 at 4:37 PM, Blogger THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

Loooooooooooooooove Baba G. and grilling! Mine are slow to come in but good things come to those who waiit!

 
At September 10, 2007 at 7:58 PM, Blogger thursday said...

I remember seeing you post about your CSA a while back, and I signed up for the one here in town! We got teeny tiny eggplants last week for our *very first* pickup (well, among other fun things). Haven't used them yet...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home