Thursday, August 23, 2007

Chilli already?



While on vacation in Vermont, I made some chili for our household which consisted of Hubby, Buttons, Beth, her hubby, her two cuties and me. Beth told me I must post the recipe for my chili, so now that the monsoons have hit our part of the country and cool weather is here, I shall oblige.

Katie's Chili
Small amount of olive oil
1 large yellow onion
2 pounds of ground turkey (or ground veggie substitute)
About 40 oz of canned tomatoes, diced or chopped with juice
15 oz tomato sauce
12 oz tomato paste
2-15 oz cans dark red kidney beans
2 teaspoons salt
3-4 heaping teaspoons chili powder
2-3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (or Pick-A-Peppa)
Dash of tobasco

Directions:
Brown onion in olive oil, add turkey/veggie substitute and brown/warm. Combine other ingredients and cook in a crock pot on low for 4 to 6 hours, or on low on the stove for about an hour, stirring frequently.

You may serve on top of rice or with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.

I also persuaded Gina to post about "Toddisms" and I recommend her post to you.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At August 23, 2007 at 7:09 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Mmmmmmm, chili! One of my favorite cold weather dishes - pretty nutritious too (if you don't use fatty meat).

Thankfully, the sun will be shinning again this weekend. I'm about sick of frizzy hair and a wet chill.

BTW, do you have a shiner? You & the hubster boxing again? ;0)

 
At August 23, 2007 at 7:35 PM, Blogger wzgirl said...

Oh how I love Worcestershire sauce. And, that adorable pic of Buttons! We make our chili with turkey, too. Same-Same.

 
At August 23, 2007 at 11:18 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

Oh garsh, Tammy. That's how rumors get started ;-) That weird thing around my eye is a water droplet and I think it's in mid-air casting a shadow under my eye. We were actually at Sesame Place getting soaked on the Big Bird Balloon Race ride. I've actually never had a shiner.

 
At August 24, 2007 at 7:49 AM, Blogger walternatives said...

Thanks for the recipe. We're big chili fans and I'll all for anything cooked in a crock pot - "cooks all day while the cook's away."

 
At August 24, 2007 at 9:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait to try it! Chili is in our regular rotation once the weather cools off. I'm excited because it's only going to be 95 today.

 
At August 28, 2007 at 12:57 PM, Blogger Gina said...

WOOO! I love chili! I will definitely be trying this! Thanks, Katie! You're the "rifxrzs!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home