Thursday, August 16, 2007

Yarn for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner*



While in Vermont, my vacation buds and I did a day of yarn shopping and general merriment. We visited Kaleidoscope Yarns and may I just say what a wonderful store. It was the perfect excursion. They had very little of the novelty yarns, lots of heartier yarns like Manos, Colinette, Lamb's Pride and wonderful local stuff nestled in a cozy former house on the street of a quaint town. The people who worked there were helpful, friendly and fun. (They have a great on-line store as well.) I purchased 3 skeins of Malabrigo (mynew favorite yarn), one skein of Cherry Tree Hill's Jumbo Loop along with one ball of Lang's Mille Colori. The Malabrigo skeins are destined for gifts, but Jumbo Loop will be a scarf for me with wristers to match made from the Mille Colori (free patterns with purchase). Gina and I couldn't believe the match in colors from the two different companies for my scarf and wristers. Do you see a color theme for my purchases?

With a recommendation from the ladies at Kaleidoscope Yarns, we made our way to the Chef's Corner for lunch. What a treat! I have this blog book entitled "No One Cares What You Ate for Lunch" but I have to tell you a few of the treats. Our lunch included black bean burritos, veggie quiche and vegetable panini with goat cheese. We took home desserts and were quite happy with those as well. Stop by if you're ever in or near Williston, VT.

Next, Marsha had found local spinner Joanne Littler of the Pine Ledge Fiber Studio and set up a meeting. Her yarns were beautiful, very thick and mostly out of my yarn budget at that point. I purchased some ends to make a two tone hat for myself and a little bit of roving for Buttons. Joanne also does weaving and kindly showed us how she does it. The set up for weaving is amazing and it certainly made me appreciate woven fabrics much more. Wow! I just received (Hubby just brought in the mail) a beautiful card from Joanne Littler thanking us for visiting her studio. Thanks Joanne!

Thanks go to Marsha for organizing the outing even with all the requests for when we would go, whether to do lunch, etc. When I grow up I'd like more patience and an ability to solve problems like my friend Marsha.

*The title refers to the fact that my yarn diet officially ended on this trip as I had planned. It felt good to be on a fiber fast and I think my next purchase will be some Green Mountain Spinnery yarn for Christmas stockings for Hubby and I and then no more yarn until I do some significant damage to my stash again.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At August 16, 2007 at 1:48 PM, Blogger Gina said...

Joanne sent me a lovely note too! She was such a nice woman. I hope we can go back & visit her next year!

 
At August 16, 2007 at 9:07 PM, Blogger insanemommy said...

I love looking a yarn even though I don't knit. Years ago I did take a knitting class and made a sweater. t was quite beautiful. I should take another class....I really did enjoy it. Besides there are so many beautiful yarns for scarves and hats.

 
At August 17, 2007 at 8:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like great loot! I have really wanted to try Malabrigo. Luckily, my LYS is going to start carrying it.

Glad you had a good vacation.

 
At August 20, 2007 at 1:17 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

It was a really fun day, wasn't it? :) I am eager to see how the malbrigo knits up. I was soooooo tempted to get some for myself while we were there, but decided to wait a while...

 
At August 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM, Blogger Gina said...

TO temp y'all further:

I can get that Malabrigo for $8.06 a skein.

Come on! Just say the word! Gimme an excuse to buy more yarn!

ROLL UP!

Todays wv: First. Palindrome. Ever.
aippia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home