Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Vermont Wrap-up


I had a list of things to blog about in regards to our trip to Vermont. Here are 10 remnants that don't seem to be making the cut to a full post. These include things I learned, things I saw and things we did.

1. I get very anxious and crabby when I lose things. Doesn't matter what it is because it's more about my sanity than the actual item. I forget so many things in my head that when I lose something tangible it's like the last straw. During this trip it was a canvas bag from a book store with "To Kill a Mockingbird" on it with reusable grocery bags in it. I know, very precious and expensive. (I also get anxious and crabby when I'm hungry or when I need to go to the bathroom and there's none in sight.)

2. Seeing wild turkeys on the way home was wonderful along with chipmunks out our back door. However, my favorite sighting was of a doe nursing a fawn in a field with the sun dancing on the grass. Such a sweet moment on our way to yarn shopping. I do wish I could have seen it again with Buttons and while I wasn't driving.

3. One of the sweetest nights we had was when Hubby, Buttons, Beth's hubby, their oldest daughter and I sat around a fire making vegan s'mores. There was a man sitting on a dock a short distance from us playing his guitar and singing wonderful magical music. It was a chilly night and we bundled together with each other and we all enjoyed the evening and lived just in that moment. (Beth was upstairs putting her youngest to sleep and fell out.)

4. If you're going to share a cabin, make sure you know exactly how many rooms there will be with actual doors. Our upstairs was basically one large room with some partial walls, curtains and saloon doors. Howdy partner!

5. Another thing to remember if you're going to share a cabin. Make sure you're sharing with good friends. It's close quarters in there and I think that's the only way it works. (It worked very well for us, but we've all agreed that when we go on vacation again together we'll rent separate neighboring cabins or a larger cabin with at least 2 bedrooms with doors.)

6. I learned that 2 girls who want the same exact toy at 8 am every morning will make a great alarm clock for anyone. (Even friends staying in another cabin 100 yards from us.)

7. At various points on the trip the theme song to "Dukes of Hazard" played in my mind (or I actually sang it aloud) and I think it's kind of clever. Maybe it's because I had such a big crush on John Schneider at age 9. Can't believe I'm admitting either of those.

8. Naked children playing in a pond with the sun beaming down on them is one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. The cuteness and innocence is unbearable.

9. Stowe, Vermont is the location of the Trapp Family Lodge. The hills were alive, but Buttons was asleep so we'll have to go back again someday to get the full experience.

10. Buttons will puke in the car for all or some of the following reasons: getting in her carseat too early in the morning, eating too many Goldfish or eggs, or reading "Strega Nona" while listening to it on cd. Not sure which one did it, but when she loses it, she does it very matter-of-factly and doesn't get too phased by it even though it rarely happens. I, on the other hand, will do just about anything to stop myself.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At August 25, 2007 at 6:24 PM, Blogger wzgirl said...

DH lost a bag of my grocery bags at the market once! I was (((so))) upset!! He abandoned the cart & someone made off with it - we didn't realize until we'd already completed our shopping with the new, random cart. He couldn't understand why I was so upset "over a few old bags".

Mostly it was b/c we had to then use the crappy grocery store ones...

Anyway, great to catch up with you. We are going camping with our bestest friends. Love going away with them. You're right - there has to be the *right* relationship for it to work.

 
At August 25, 2007 at 8:29 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

Fortunately, the "To Kill A Mockingbird" bird was located--in Gina's car! (You didn't lose it again, did you?)

 
At August 25, 2007 at 9:43 PM, Blogger insanemommy said...

Sounds like you had a spankin' chillaxin time camping. I too turn into Cruella DeVille when I'm hungry. Minutes can seem like years.. Feed the animal.

 
At August 25, 2007 at 10:22 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I'm sorry I missed the campfire - it was something I would have loved to experience. Funny, I did not notice the regularity of the "8am alarm clock" until you mentioned it. I had a smashing good time in Vermont, even though I did alot of falling out.

 
At August 26, 2007 at 7:50 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Totally with ya on the cabin thing! Too funny about Buttons' causes for puking. I agree with you, I will do anything NOT to. Funny how they haven't learned that yet - I imagine observing/interacting with a small child teaches you a lot about what we suppress/learn as we grow up! Interesting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home