Friday, February 23, 2007

FO and Knitter Conversations


I have an actual FO* in my possesstion. The sweater for Buttons was found in this book, but I used different yarn in a different gauge and fused two patterns together to come up with this (with help from some knitting buddies). So, much like many of my meals, I don't think I could make this sweater again exactly the same way. I also realized when I put it on Buttons I need to redo the neck and since I haven't actually done that yet, I guess it's still a UFO**. (Buttons has a large melon and I actually cut the neck to make it fit.)

I went to a knitting group last night and laughed so hard. I wonder if non-knitters (The Yarn Harlot calls them Muggles) think that knitters just sit around and talk about needles and wool when they get together. Well, I think we talked a bit about patterns, needles and yarn, but the conversations were all over the board and if you were there last night at our local bookstore, I aplogize if our laughter or our crazy topics interrupted your quiet time.

Thanks to Marsha, we broached the subject of scrotum and banned books. One of the knitters misheard one of the conversations of the evening and thought we were talking about dog condoms ?!? We discussed the coverage (or lack thereof) of wearing a thong under the gear to teach an aerobics class just in case the seam rips on your bum. Teaching children about body parts was discussed and one of our knitters told us that when she was born, her older brothers watched one of her diaper changes and the younger brother said "where did her wee-wee go" and the older brother came back with "Stupid, she's a baby...it hasn't grown in yet".

One of the husbands suggested we do a podcast of our knitting group because we have such a good time, but I don't think we'd be willing to be quite that public about our tales. However, if you knit, I highly suggest forming a group. If you don't knit, start. And then form a group. We haven't known each other for too long, but we've shared stories of joy, sadness and sometimes we even talk about knitting. I feel lucky to belong to this group of women.

*FO: Finished Object.
**UFO: Unfinished Object

(The picture of Buttons is just a little bonus. She loves to paint and just in case you couldn't tell, that's a butterfly she's painting.)

Tales of the weigh-in to come later...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At February 23, 2007 at 11:50 AM, Blogger wzgirl said...

I thought that it was COWS that she was painting.

Sounds like a really, really fun night. That kind of laughing is just good exercise!!

 
At February 23, 2007 at 10:04 PM, Blogger MamaMaven said...

Adorable sweater!

 
At February 27, 2007 at 3:09 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Yep, looks like a butterfly to me! The sweater is lovely. I have an FO too, but my camera is broken so no pics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home