Monday, July 07, 2008

Dancin' Feet

I want Buttons to play sports (really anything except football 'cause that sport is just asking for injury) and we have many "unisex" toys. I want her to know she is strong and she can find her own role in this world that isn't attached to gender.
So... is it so wrong that I found her especially cute in her footless tights, skirted leotard, ballet slippers and pig tails? I took ballet class as a youngster and I remember loving it and it was also one of the toughest things I ever did. I don't know if she'll continue, but I'm glad she's enjoying it so far. I sure am.
She did ask if boys take ballet too. I let her know that indeed boys dance too and I hoped she'd have at least one in her class. No such luck though. Too bad, because although she looked really cute, the most important thing was that she had a good time dancing to the music and getting to know how her body moves. Don't all kids deserve to experience that?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At July 8, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right -- every kid should have the opportunity to get to know how their body moves and how fun dancing is.

I keep reminding myself: just because it is girly doesn't mean it is necessarily bad!

 
At July 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dance is a wonderful thing... I have always been sporty and non girly, but I loved dance and really wish I had kept up with it. It is great for your body and wonderful if you do play softball, basketball etc.

Your SP

 
At July 9, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Very cute! I never took ballet but it looks like fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home