Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Missing Belgium Already

We head for home on Friday but I've already become very sentimental about leaving. We've had a wonderful stay and although I haven't blogged about it too much, I'm sure it will be fodder for future posts.

For now, I'll just post about a few of the things I'll miss once we leave...


The backyard and garden where Buttons played with C & J's grandchildren. (I'm hoping to get permission to put their pictures on here as well.) Many good times were spent over a cup of coffee or a beer (or two) chatting with C & J about Belgium, the U.S., parenting, gardens, politics, religion and food, of course. We even helped plant a few of the flowers and hung our laundry out there on occasion. Yes, we lived in their backyard.



Just beyond the backyard is farmland that holds many surprises, like hot air balloons and the braying of horses so close I thought they were going to sit down for dinner with us. There are sounds of birds, the glimmer of leaves blowing in the wind and the smell of the cows. (Buttons took to saying the cows were "ripe" after I told her that once.)



Pictured here tending the garden, J gave us thoughts on places to visit, provided maps to get us there and offered a new Belgian beer for us to try quite often.




Pictured here with the girl who isn't always easy to please, C made sure Buttons would enjoy her stay. We went swimming nearly every week and C also invited her grandchildren over quite often and we all had good laughs.

Both C & J went above and beyond to provide us with not only our needs, but companionship and warmth. We went to the Netherlands, Paris, Brugge, Ghent, Antwerp and St. Petersburg, but as you may have guessed, we will miss C & J and their family most of all. We've been invited to their son's wedding and I would really like to come back and celebrate with them. We've invited C & J and their son, soon-to-be daughter-in-law and grandchildren to visit us back in the USA. If I can't make all of my friends and family from the States move here at least I can have my Belgium family come and visit me there. Perhaps they'll decide to live in the U.S.?

It's been a wonderful journey and I'm not sure I really want it to end yet. And Buttons? She's struggling with leaving and staying just like I am. One minute she wants to see our cat at home and the next minute she doesn't want to see her "never again" because that means leaving our friends here. It's been a wonderful journey and I'm not sure I really want it to end yet.

But here comes reality... I'm off to finish packing.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At June 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so happy that you have had such a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing so many pictures and stories.

 
At June 18, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Great pic of Buttons and C! The place you are staying looks so wonderful too.

 
At June 19, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Blogger thursday said...

Wow! I can't believe your trip is over already - has it really been that long? Thanks for bringing us along on your exciting journey! I hope your trip back is uneventful (ugh, long flights).

 
At June 21, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a stunning garden! I wish I didn't have the Black Thumb of Doom when it came to plants. The only thing I haven't killed so far is a peace lily...

Your Secret Knitting Pal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home