Friday, May 30, 2008

Secret Pal 12

Yup, I decided to do SP12 at the very last minute. Hope I'm in!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I'm fairly particular about man-made fibers and have no real use for most novelty yarns. I do enjoy most other "natural fibers". I love soft wools like merino, alpaca, and cashmere. I also enjoy some cottons as well since I'm addicted to knitting ball-band dishcloths.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Lantern Moon wrap case for straight needles, special case for circulars, and a rectangle-shaped make-up case for DPN's.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting for around 4 years. Hubby bought me knitting lessons from the amazing Pat and now I knit with her and a bunch of other fabulous women about once a week. I would say my skills are in the intermediate range with dips into both beginners and advanced.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes and I'd be happy to share that info with my Secret Pal directly.

5. What's your favorite scent? Lavender, lemon verbena and other clean smells.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I love real genuine Belgian chocolate (pralines) but a Hershey bar is an easier alternative to find. However, chocolate would be a bit melty this time of year, so I'll have to think of another goody.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I don't spin and am not too interested in it currently. I do love to take pictures and would love to find more time to either scrapbook or put them in a photo album. I'd like to sew a bit too, but the machine scares me still.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Yes, I am MP3 capable. I really love world music especially (but not limited to) African and Cuban music. I'm always looking for Chinese music as well. My taste varies, but I like anything from Erasure to Joan Armatrading, REM to Ella Fitzgerald, Abba to Indigo Girls, The Beatles to the Doors, movie soundtracks to Broadway soundtracks. I'm not too into country, although I think Patsy Cline is a goddess and rap ain't my thang although there have been some songs that I enjoy. I enjoy classical and opera, but although not very knowledgeable about either. (Although my previous Secret Pal gave me some great music, so I know a bit more than before.)

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? My knitting buds would tell you that. I tend to like jewel tones and not-too-bright brights. I enjoy blue, greens, purples and pinks for wardrobe choices. I'd say fuschia is probably my best color and anything in the blue to teal family looks good on me. My house is decorated in butter yellows, sage greens, lavender and I have 2 very red doors. Although oatmeal, browns, taupes and putty are beautiful, they aren't for me.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Hubby, daughter "Buttons" (almost 4) and our kitty.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes, although I rarely wear ponchos and would probably do a wrap or a scarf before wearing a poncho. However, Buttons has a poncho that I will try and persuade her to wear for a couple more years.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? One large project, one project that needs concentration and one (or more) quick projects. I enjoy hats, scarves and bags. I like making sweaters, but they're still a challenge even though they're usually for Buttons.

13. What are you knitting right now? Christmas stocking for Hubby, slippers for me and I have some WIP's at home that I have completely lost track of while I'm here in Belgium.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes please!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I love my set of Denise needles, but I now own 3 Addi Turbos (16" sizes 7 and 9, 12" size 2) and I'm diggin' them. Pretty needles like Lantern Moon make me weak in the knees, but I'm too practical to ever say I "need" them. My last SP bought me a pair of size 7 Lantern Moons and they are lovely. I've been thinking of trying Knitpicks Options too.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No, but I have that page bookmarked on Knitpicks.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? A Fiber Trends felted hat I was making for a knitting store I worked at, but is now only available on-line. 3 years ago?

18. What is your favorite holiday? Fave holiday is Christmas and Buttons is getting to the age where it's just amazing. Fall, however is my favorite season.

19. Is there anything that you collect? More knitting and cookbooks than anyone would ever need. However, if there's a recipe or pattern you love, please share it if you'd like. I do like knit items for the Christmas tree.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Currently, I have no knitting magazine subscriptions. I can't think of a single book I "need", but I'm always happy to receive 16" Addi Turbos from size 4 to 15 with the exception of size 7 or 9.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Someday I will learn Entrelac, Intarsia and maybe even Fair Isle.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I am still working on my first pair and I have quite a bit of sock yarn already, so I'll be an odd duck and say I have enough sock yarn right now. Exceptions to that would be sock yarn made out of corn, soy or bamboo. Don't know my foot measurements, but I have a size 7 1/2 shoe.

23. When is your birthday? In November, just before Thanksgiving

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? mayleebeezir

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home