Saturday, May 03, 2008

Mystery Bottle

In high school I took 2 years of Spanish and in college I took a year of French. I can barely speak anything intelligible in either of those languages, but I have some knowledge that can get me by here and there. But Dutch? It may be Germanic, so it's close to my native tongue, but going to a restaurant in Belgium has been challenging. I have my guidebook and thankfully our "landlords" C & J are amazingly helpful but on my own when the restaurant has food that doesn't match the guidebook I have to do some guessing or just continue eating the same things each time. It's amazing how much you take for granted when you know the language and go into a restaurant or a grocery store and just make your choice.


Luckily, when we arrived our fridge was kindly stocked by our landlords/hosts C & J with Belgian beer, strawberries, crepes, milk, orange juice not too mention the croissants, Nutella, and chocolates. So, we didn't have to navigate our way around too soon. However, also in the fridge was this mystery bottle, pictured in our kitchen window. I do know what it is now and have used it. (Yes, I do know that it also has French on it, but I still couldn't guess.)
Without "cheating" can you guess what it is?


By the way, right now I'm watching a Dutch cartoon with Buttons that includes rapping goats and a mildly mean yet bumbling wolf while I'm nursing a hangover from last nights dinner with C & J. Things are different here in Belgium and I'm really enjoying it.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At May 3, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

I'll bite: Some kind of maridade or glaze?

Glad you have C & J to help you folks out. Stocking your fridge was very thoughtful (and the crepes & strawberries sound delish).

((Sending you hugs from across the pond))

 
At May 3, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Blogger Imperatrix said...

I had to look at the picture large (is that cheating?) I say, cooking oil. ("for cooking and roasting").

When the Consort spent a month in Hungary, he bought a big quart container of yogurt on his first hopping trip, and *loved* it. So, the next week, he bought another container. He opened it, took a big spoonful, and ate it. A big spoonful of lard.

His landlord brought the container back to the store for him, explained the misunderstanding, and after the locals all had a good chuckle about it, the landlord came back with a big container, of *yogurt* this time.

 
At May 3, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Blogger THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

sounds like fun adventures!! Any great yarns?

 
At May 3, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Blogger wzgirl said...

Good times!

I can hardly believe that you're in Belgium! Sweet.

 
At May 3, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Blogger wzgirl said...

chicken stock?

 
At May 4, 2008 at 4:35 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I too clicked on the photo to view it larger, is that cheating? I think it is some type of mayo.

 
At May 4, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I have a question about the product - is it something you'd readily find in a frig in the USA?

 
At May 4, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

Hmm, I was ready to give an answer, but Beth wants a hint.

So, you would find it in a fridge in the U.S. but not generally in this form.

It is not lard, Imperatrix, but thank you for that great story!

 
At May 4, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Blogger Lou said...

Horseradish sauce? It's the right colour, and it looks like it says it's to go on roast dinner, so... ?

By the way, are you still intending to come over here while you're in the almost-area? Are you anywhere near a Eurostar link?

 
At May 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maar ale ! das toch duidelijk !
Het is gewoon een flesje bakken en braden van den Delhaize ...

LOL

groetjes Leen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home