Friday, April 25, 2008

Dag!

Well, we are in full swing in northern Belgium and enjoying it so much that I'm thinking about how much I'll miss it when we have to leave. There's so much rolling around in my head and I'm too tired to get it out coherently, so I'll give you highlights and pictures.


Buttons enjoys her first taste of a "Belgian waffle", which is actually called a Brussels waffle in Belgium. She ordered hers with ice cream.
I ordered mine with strawberries and cream. Mmmmmm.

While we're in Belgium, we're staying at a Bed & Breakfast owned by these lovely people. They have treated us so well, we'll never want to leave. Today they drove Buttons and I to several stores, took us out for those fabulous waffles, showed me how to make delicious mussels and those are just a few things from today.

They have 3 grandchildren and Buttons is having a blast with all of them, especially the cutie shown above. I made fast friends with the boys much to my surprise. I think that bringing this helped. It's a great game and there is no language barrier. Anyway, they are sweet kids and Buttons is having a blast.

Did I mention our apartment is right next to a farm with cows and horses? Yeah, Buttons is completely smitten with this place. Of course, there's the stink that comes from farm animals and Buttons is not too fond of the smell. One time I told her that the cows were ripe and that's her favorite new phrase.

Here are the infamous mussels*. They were delicious and I was amazed that I could make them. Thanks to my "landlady". We're definitely in the honeymoon phase of our Belgium stay and I'm just feeling sad that we'll only be "married" for 2 months.

*I was told that mussels should be served with frites but I haven't purchased any yet but since I had some leftover boiled potatoes, I sauteed them with olive oil and onions and we dipped them in mayonaisse and ketchup. Mayonaisse is traditional, but I still like a bit of ketchup.

We're thinking of going here soon. Crazy?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At April 25, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Howdy friend! So glad to hear you made it to Belgium safely & by the sounds of it, you're really enjoying yourself. Can't wait to see some pictures & read some stories about your adventures.

BTW, those waffles look scrumptious.

 
At April 26, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Blogger Imperatrix said...

Looks like a wonderful set-up for all of you. So, you've experienced gouter, have you? ;-) Yum!

One warning about frites: in many places, they are still made with beef fat (rather than veg oil). It gives that that delicious taste and crunch, but it isn't as "healthy".

But, healthy smealthy, eh?

In many friterie, you can try lots of different sauces -- more than just mayo or ketchup. Try some, you'll like 'em!

 
At April 26, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Blogger walternatives said...

Nog een keer - Dag! It's such a joy to see the Dutch language on your site as well as the reference to frites met mayo. That's our fave but so fattening. Our fave frites sauce is the satay sauce; just thinking of it makes me drool.

Thanks for keeping us posted and dank u wel from your Texas/Dutch friends to your "landlady!"

 
At April 28, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Blogger Jan Brofka-Berends said...

Do you know how much I wanted to go to the Efteling when I was young and visiting Holland? Passionately! (Although my folks said the drive was too long, so we never did go).

Coincidentally, I learned about the place from a Dutch comic called Suske and Wiske. At one point, you could find those books translated into English as Spike and Suzy: The Fairies of the Efteling. Don't know if it's available now.

But if you go, I do want a full, detailed report. (As well as information about the location of gigantic diamonds that may be in the park.)

 
At April 29, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Blogger Gina said...

OH
MY
DOG

THAT WAFFLE

DROOL

I am go glad that you guys are adjusting to living in Belgium. I know it will be a great experience for all of you, especially Buttons!

 
At May 3, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Blogger Pink Velvet Mommy said...

how did I miss that you were going to Belgium?? I need to read the board better obviously.
Glad you are there safe and sound, and those waffles look amazing.

Enjoy, and buttons looks adorable as usual!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home