Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Morning

This morning started out with a whine. We were in a rush to get to church and we were all too tired. Buttons couldn't decide what to wear and everything was wrong and she let us know it. At a certain point I almost gave up trying to get our buns out the door. We were very late and I couldn't wait to sit down with Hubby for a bit of peace with my knitting while Buttons went to Sunday school. The service was good and with my nerves settled I was looking forward to reuniting with Buttons.

So I went to her room and the teacher informed me that the topic of the day was families and that included adoption. When the teacher asked the children about adoption, Buttons raised her hand and answered...

"Adoption is love."

Um yeah. I melted in a puddle of happy tears when I heard that.

Before I met Buttons I read many books on adoption and one of the things I remember reading was how adoptive parents can have difficulties discerning typical behaviors from adoption issues. I don't claim to speak for all adoptive parents, but for me I think I'll always have that small part of me that wonders sometimes. We've discussed adoption with her and now she seemed focused on pretending to have babies, sometimes "from China" and sometimes a biological child. I know she's processing and I was just hoping the big message would come through. I don't think we've ever phrased it quite the way she did in Sunday school, but her answer gave me the knowledge that she understands the most important thing about adoption and for that I am thankful.

Yeah, I'm glad we went to church.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 14, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Blogger Imperatrix said...

You guys are obviously doing things right!

How sweet of Buttons -- and she doesn't even know she's being sweet!

I can see how adoptive parents can have a difficult time figuring out the source of attitude (I'm thinking more once that big one-three comes around!). Checking in with other parents of all stripes will definitely be helpful to put your mind at ease.

Also, really, when we're teens we all wish we're adopted, because our parents are so clearly NOT us. ;-)

 
At April 14, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Blogger wzgirl said...

Kinda sounds like an early Mothers Day gift. How sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home