Thursday, May 15, 2008

Compare and Contrast : The Food


You know about the great chocolate (pralines), the incredible beer selection, the delicious mussels (only eaten in "r" months), and of course the fries (Belgian, not French, thank you), but there are other foods here and they do differ from typical foods in the U.S.

For instance, if you order an ice tea here it will be sweet and carbonated. In the States, I've been to the south and I do enjoy "sweet tea" sometimes, but I finally decided to make some ice tea at home because I was craving just a simple non-sweetened still ice tea. However, I am starting to enjoy their ice tea here and I'm sure I'll miss it when I'm back in the states. In fact just about everything here is carbonated and I do enjoy my bubbles.

And the dairy products? Oh my. The milk is to die for and the yogurt here is actually fantastic. Normally not a fan of yogurt, here I have at least one a day. It's creamier and better tasting. I can't really explain it except to say "mmm, good". They also have Greek style yogurt with strawberries and let me just say I'm glad I didn't know how to read the fat content. Yes, it was THAT good.

There is a great deal of meat here and ham seems to be a popular choice. Hubby only eats fish/seafood and poultry as far as meat goes, so it's been slightly challenging. In Ghent he ate Waterzooi and in Bokrijk he had an amazing cheese plate and shared a bit of my Vol au Vent. I imagine that vegetarians have a bit of difficulty eating in Europe and vegans? Holy cow. Good luck. The popular dish Stoofvlees is kind of like having my mom's pot roast made into a stew and it's wonderful. Once again, glad not to know the fat content.

We have a friend coming today to stay for a couple of nights and I know we'll eat out a bit, but I'm trying to decide what to make here. I'm so used to having an oven and a slow cooker back in the States that I really have to think about what to make. I finally found some taco fixins finally and I'm thinking of trying that. Can you believe I found vegan taco filling? Well, whatever we have I know it will be served with beer, but that's a whole post unto itself.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At May 15, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a culinary adventure! Have a great weekend with your visiting friend!

 
At May 15, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Blogger FrancescoP said...

Actually the stoffvlees is not too fatty ;-)

Ciao

Francesco

 
At May 15, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are making me hungry! It all sounds delicious.

And I am a southern girl who does not like sweet tea.

 
At May 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Blogger walternatives said...

And folks say that the Dutch/Flemish food isn't that memorable? Phffph.

Have you had the white asparagus yet? Oh So Good, as is mayo met jouw frites.

Not sure if you've noticed but peanut butter is referred to as peanut "cheese" (pinda kaas); I think that the butter makers originated that labeling; I don't blame them considering the fab diary products in that part of the world.

Enjoy your friend's visit!

 
At May 16, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Blogger Katie J said...

Marsha,
It is an adventure and my new strategy is to order something new the next few times we go out.

The Food Traveller,
Thanks for the info on the Stoofvlees. Maybe I can enjoy it without the guilt.

Purl,
Come on over! We're having a great time and would love to share.

Walternatives,
I have had the white asparagus. How could I not mention it? C made a typical Flemish recipe with a wonderful sauce that had hard boiled eggs in it. Oh and fritjes met mayonnaise? Of course I've had them and I like them far too much.

I'll peek at the peanut "cheese" next time I go shopping.

 
At May 17, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're with "the natives" again (includes me:-) ) you should ask about "bekende gezegden" ( that are wise sayings like the grass is always greener on the other site ... but the flemish ones !) and you should have them translated literraly ... it will be a good laugh !

we used to do that with visiting American baseball players ...way back when I was playing soft ball

 
At May 21, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Blogger Aisha said...

Wow the food looks so good. Carbonated Ice tea, that's interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home