Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Things I've Learned

I knew coming to Belgium would teach me a few things. I even had an inkling of what some of the lessons would be. Yes, I can get along quite nicely with less stuff and I'd even say I'm getting along better without the burden of too much crap. The three of us can even go to Paris for the weekend with two small backpacks, a purse, a stroller and get along just fine, thank you.
No matter how many toys Buttons has, she very often goes back to the basics of art stuff and imaginative play with found objects or changing the role of her toys. Here she is pictured with her Lego violin. I swear I could take her anywhere with string, beads, blocks, paper, scissors, markers and her beloved doll and she'd be good.

I've learned that I'm really going to miss the view we see everyday when we decend our staircase from our apartment. I may need to get a gnome for my yard. (Yes, the little guy has grown on me.) Unfortunately we don't have room for the horses, cows and chickens we see.

The two things I was most worried about happened while we were here and we're still ok. The first major thing was Hubby losing his passport. After just a couple of visits to Brussels along with about 100 Euros less in our pockets, he has a new one. We're hoping that he'll get his Visa for our Russia trip in time and then everything will go as originally planned. The second thing was scary at the time, but everything turned out ok.

I can cook without recipes and also sans oven. No one was more surprised than me. I rely heavily on my recipes, oven, slow cooker and rice maker. However, with a little thinking, some creativity and a little magic bouillon, I've been cooking some yummy soups and adjusting some of my recipes for the stove top. The fridge is also quite small and I'm not used to that, but it's actually helped my culinary skills and I find I waste less when there's only so much room. Plus, a good portion of the fridge must be reserved for Belgian beer, ya know?

Yes, I've learned more but my last post was a novel, so I'm trying to get this one down to a short story. More to come, I promise.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Very interesting post! I think that Americans could learn alot from Europeans in some respects.

 
At May 30, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Great life lessons!

Your view is beautiful - although, you could find a similar view out in our neck of the woods. We'd LOVE to have you folks as neighbors. :0)

 
At June 1, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Blogger wzgirl said...

Wow! I"m so glad that you gave me a link back to that buttons ER story. I've been off track a bit & saved Maylee Beezir for a time when I could catch up en masse. I miss you. I can't believe buttons got hurt - poor wee girl. Poor mama. But you guys are ok & better for it, I am certain.

I love the whole concept of living simply & envy you of this time. It is very, very, very, very cool that you are doing what you are doing.

Good luck finding a gnome as cool as that Belgium one....but if you do, order 2, ok? xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home