Friday, July 20, 2007

Sometimes We're Proper



I'm a pretty casual person. That being said, I do enjoy the English language (what little of it I still remember with my forgetful brain). Hubby and I try to teach our girl mad language skillz without correcting her. So, lately she's been doing some really fun things like understanding grammar rules and applying them on the exceptions. For instance "I'mn't" means I'm not and "she taked it" means"she took it". She also adds "y" to make things cute like "bowl-y" and "cup-y".

Then there are the times when we know she's been listening to us and I wonder if we talk like the Queen Mum is coming for a visit.

Buttons: Mama, may I fill my cup with these cheerios please?
Me: (Smiling) Yes you may.
Buttons: Thank you mama.

Also, when I'm doing something, she will often ask "May I help you in any way?" Yes, hubby and I say that to each other, but I'm astonished each time that parts her lips.

On our way home from the airport after our vacation I was talking about the fun we had and I told Buttons how well she did on our trip and visiting everyone and she smiled and said "thank you very much mama."

Now please believe me, I want Buttons to be respectful of the people around her and talk nicely to people, but I'm not interested in making her a puppet. In fact, after a car cut us off in a scary way the other day, I heard a scratchy little voice from the backseat say "Hey dude"!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At July 20, 2007 at 8:10 PM, Blogger wzgirl said...

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Dude.

Hey, that's the watermelon dress/shirt isn't it? My how your girl has grown!!

 
At July 21, 2007 at 8:28 AM, Blogger Katie J said...

Indeed. Last year it was a dress. This year, a tunic. Next year, a shirt. I will stop if it becomes a belly shirt though!

 
At July 24, 2007 at 9:49 AM, Blogger Robin said...

What a funny post - I like the "may I help you in any way" - how nice and respectful. That is great that she is picking that up from you! And using "dude" (in perfect context) made me laugh so hard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home