Saturday, April 29, 2006

Buttons Blowing Bubbles

 I have never been an outdoor person. I prefer inside pursuits like music, books, knitting and unfortunately a fair amount of tube watching. Although with Buttons around I feel the need to take her outside and let her explore the world a bit. She loves the outdoors and as sappy as it may sound, I've gained a better appreciation for it myself. She can spot birds and planes often before I do and she has even spotted the moon during daylight hours. She's a sky-watcher and a lover of rocks and bubbles. She is tentative when playing outside and I hope she hasn't learned that from me.

I know we can't be Supermoms, but I really don't want to make mistakes, yet I'm sure I'm making them daily. No green veggie at lunch or dinner yesterday. Possibly instilling an irrational fear of bees the day before. Worried about providing enough Chinese culture for her. Not sure if I have the right balance of activities, including making sure she has enough toys that reflect societies "boy" toys. I want to learn about the person she is, what she loves and what she's not so fond of (diaper changes are tops on that list right now) and I want to do it right. It's not always an evident feature on me, but I can be a perfectionist. However, I don't think parenthood or childhood are really good canvasses for perfectionism. I realize this is not a new dilemma for humankind, but it just seems so much bigger when the mistakes you make can really affect someone who doesn't really have a say in it. So, more green veggies, less "scared of bees" moments, more Chinese culture, more "boy" toys or nuetral toys and maybe less nuerosis and more enjoyment of the little moments that float away like bubbles.

4 Comments:

At April 29, 2006 at 10:52 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

The fact that you are aware of all the good things that you want to expose your daughter to proves that you are being the best Mom you can be. Great post - have been missing some from you lately :)

 
At April 29, 2006 at 10:52 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

The fact that you are aware of all the good things that you want to expose your daughter to proves that you are being the best Mom you can be. Great post - have been missing some from you lately :)

 
At April 30, 2006 at 7:56 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

One of your most awesome parental traits is that you cherish Button's individuality - appreciating your daughter for her uniqueness and for the person she is. So many parents try to live vicariously through their children & want to mold them into someone who they aren't. You're an awesome mom!

BTW, Give Buttons a few extra green beans today - it all balances out.

 
At February 1, 2007 at 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a total perfectionist - that may be one of my traits that scares me off of having kids the most. I wouldn't want to be a total control freak, but wouldn't want to screw anyone else up either!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home