Sunday, April 02, 2006

Travel and Wait Tips...Finally!

 
 
Before I get started, I just wanted to say Happy Spring! I had to share this picture of the weeping cherry tree in our neighbor's yard. Isn't it purdy? And here's Buttons examining the band-aid on her first skinned knee. We are gonna have fun outside this summer!

Now, I hate to make excuses, but I'm gonna anyway. I was in a musical for the month of March that took up most of my free time, so my posting became neglected. However, I have thought about this subject quite a bit and although I don't think I have anything earth-shattering to say, perhaps I can help someone. So, here goes...

Pack lightly, but include the phone number of your pediatrician, anti-biotics for everyone, cheerios, stacking cups and a dish and soap for washing bottles. We also coordinated taking items within our group. A few of the couples talked before hand and some of us took scabies medication while others may have brought band-aids or a an inflatable tub. We figured we wouldn't all need everything on the packing list, so we decided we would share. For more tips on packing, see this site.

Wait tips? Oh, it's just so hard, but here are a few things that we did or wish we did. We took courses in Mandarin, Chinese culture, raising adopted Asian children (seriously, that was the name of the course), and infant and children CPR. I can't tell you how much it helped us wait, helped us in China and continues to be a wonderful thing. Go to the movies! Every. Night. (Please know I am not complaining, but I do wish I would have taken that advice more seriously while I was waiting.) Travel, clean the basement, BABYPROOF YOUR HOUSE, and work on the nursery. The nursery thing was hard for me but once that baby is home you just won't have time. Do something you've always wanted to do but never had the courage to try. I auditioned for community theater and was able to be in a musical for the first time in my life and boy did it take up my brain and my time. Learn to knit, write a book, start painting again, or anything that might prove challenging with a young toddler. Once again, not complaining, but if you're having trouble waiting, spending some time on yourself can be an excellent way to kill time. You could do volunteer work or research various programs that benefit China's orphanages and think about what you might want to do for them.

As far as the actual travel is concerned, sleep as much as you can on the plane on the way over, drink copious amounts of water and walk around every hour or two for at least 10 minutes. We tried to pack lightly for the carry-ons, but we loved our inflatable pillows and a few high protein snacks we brought as well. Our agency was wonderful about making sure everything was taken care of while we were in China, so make sure your agency is on the ball about transportation from the various airports and hotels. Take more pictures than you think you'll ever have time to look at, because you'll still wish you had more. On the way back, have a seat for your child. We can be pretty cheap, but this was NOT negotiable and I highly recommend it.

Understand that the day you meet your child will be filled with every emotion you've ever had and then new ones will miraculously appear as well. Also understand that even though this will go down as one of your best days ever, your child most likely won't feel that same way. It's the hardest thing to do, but try not to go into that day with romantic expectations. Things will fall into place, but it will take time. Also, about half of the girls in our group favored their fathers and no matter how you try to prepare yourself for these possibilities, the theory is much easier than the practice.

If this helps you, please comment. If there is a question you have for me, please comment. Ok, just please comment 'cause it's so nice to know there are really people out there "stopping by" to read my blog.

Good luck to all you travelers!

Another tip is taking Pla*tex bottles with liners for easier clean-up.

5 Comments:

At April 3, 2006 at 1:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Wonderful tips. I can't wait until the time comes for me to actually put them to use!

 
At April 3, 2006 at 5:41 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Well, well, well, welcome back to blogville my friend!

Great tips for those traveling soon. Are these the tips you shared at the travel meeting? I have to call you to see how it went.

TTFN

 
At April 4, 2006 at 1:50 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

Happy spring to you, too! Your pre-baby "to-do" list is terrific. I see lots of items that were on my own list...and of course I never got to them!

 
At May 7, 2006 at 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice. Of course, now I'm fr-EAK-ing OUT! Must. Start. Packing. List.

 
At July 8, 2006 at 12:27 PM, Blogger K. said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading these tips. I'm also really enjoying reading your blog!:)

A new blogger on the block,
Kerrie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home