Thursday, February 23, 2006

Head Performance / SAHM Bashing

 
Ok, I did tell you she liked to put things on her head, right? This is one of my favorite pictures of her. She finds great enjoyment in these tights except if you choose to put them on her legs.

Now to my next subject...On one of the morning shows today they had various women with differing opinions on the stay-at-home-mom. There was an author on who was telling women that they shouldn't be SAHM's for many reasons. One, the divorce rate is so high that what happens if you divorce and your standard of living plummets? Next was - if there are no moms in the workforce how do we get more benefits for working moms? Then - how do we teach our daugthers that we should work? Oh and why would some university want to give women degrees in law just to stay home with their children? There were other reasons but I was trying to get ready fast so my hubby could get to work and I could feed Buttons.

Now I understand these are all big questions and shouldn't be ignored, but do I need to feel guilty about one more thing? Staying home has its challenges but I think it also has its advantages. I feel blessed to be able to do it with Buttons right now. I've wanted a baby for so long I feel as though I don't want someone else to take the priveledge of raising her away from me. It can be very repetitive and there are things that I do to keep myself from being a mushbrain, but isn't this important work?

I also know that there are women who are doing it all and that's great for them, but this is my choice for my life right now. Yes I believe there is such a thing as a greater good, but how did this woman decide she knows what's right? It's an interesting discussion. I don't have all the answers, but at least I'm not pretending I do. Ok, I'll climb down off my Ivory Snow box now.

5 Comments:

At February 23, 2006 at 10:42 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Could those tights be any cuter? Buttons sure does have her own way of doing things. She's found a whole new use for leggings. Can you blame her? Am I the only one who hates to put pantyhose on? They are so fun to put on - NOT.

Here's my .02 about the SAHM issue: It's a concious choice to stay home & people do it for a variety of reasons. It's not a waste to be an educated women, even if they choose to be a SAHM (and dads can stay at home too, you know). Most women only stay home while the kids are young & later return to work (full or part time). The message we send to our daughters needs to be: CHOICE. Thank God we live in a country where we have the freedom to choose how we live our life.

 
At February 23, 2006 at 11:03 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

Yeah, what she said, too!

 
At February 24, 2006 at 6:58 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

No matter what side of the issue you or anyone else is on, no women should be made to feel guilty about their choices. I am very happy that I have had the opportunity to be a SAHM, and am amazed at women who work full time and then have to still raise their family! We are all just doing our best.

 
At February 24, 2006 at 1:04 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

I am in total agreement. I'm also amazed at the women who can work outside of the home full time and have a family life as well. I say more pats on the back for everyone!

 
At February 1, 2007 at 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would be extremely difficult to juggle everything, working full time with kids. If you can focus on doing the best job you possibly can at being there for her, why not do it? I agree with the other poster - Choice is what it's all about. Why does everyone need to follow the same path? Do what works for you and your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home