Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spring Cleaning Bonanza

















My house is a wreck. I'm currently hauling large piles of junk out of my basement of garbage, recycling, re-gifting and donations. It feels great to work on it, but it's overwhelming at the same time. So, I'm asking y'all...do you have advice for me? Rules you live by for de-cluttering? I watched a few episodes of Hoarders and was inspired to go to the depths so as not to be featured there.

(This is not a picture of my basement, but it seems vaguely familiar.)


3 Comments:

At April 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

My motto: When in doubt, throw it out! (throw out means out of the house - donate first, trash if broken/useless/ruined)

Also, things are just things - I try not to get emotionally attached to things. If an item hasn't been used in two years, it's most likely out the door.

Lastly, DONATE, DONATE, DONATE - giving things away to those less fortunate not only helps someone in need, it eases my grip on an item knowing it isn't being thrown away.

Once you get started it gets easier. Good luck!

PS. I only clear out when Scott is at work since he has the hoarding gene & parts with NOTHING. It causes him great angst.

 
At April 21, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Blogger ProfessorMom said...

umm...yeah. So I think that IS my basement. Guess I can't be of any help to you. But good luck with your work! Let me know how it works out and I will rejoice with you.

 
At May 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Blogger Mom O Matic said...

That is not a hoarders basement. But I feel your pain...our basement is a mine field of crap right now. Feels so good to get rid of stuff though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home