Thursday, November 01, 2007

Thankful Thursday

Good golly! Peaceable Imperatrix reminded me on her most recent post that it's national blog month, which means I'm gonna try to post every day until December 1st. I can't guarantee the content, but I will try to blog something every day. Since it's November, the month of Thanksgiving, I thought I would start the Thankful Thursday meme.

I'm thankful for "thank you's", which is part of our bedtime routine. We read books, we sing songs and we give thanks for various things including each other and different parts of our day. We always end with "thank you for friends and family". Who are we thanking? God? The universe? Buddha? We're raising Buttons to be Unitarian Universalist, a "liberal" religion that believes there are many truths. My hope is by educating her in the many possibilities out there, she will be able to have a kind and thankful heart and an openness to accept and embrace the differences of other people along with our shared experiences.

She loves the "thank you's" too. "Thank you for mommy, who's right here and for daddy who's downstairs." "Thank you for curtains and lights." (Right in front of her.) "Thank you for teachers." "Thank you for trees."

Thank you for Buttons.

I'm also thankful for plumpynut.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At November 2, 2007 at 8:56 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Very nice post. Your religion sounds like a great one. If I was going to be "something" I think that would be my choice. I'm definitely of a liberal mindset and just believe in being the best person I can be, to the best of my ability, and treating others with kindness and compassion. I don't always succeed, but I think consistent trying is the key.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 12:38 PM, Blogger walternatives said...

The more that we look for reasons to be thankful, the easier it becomes to see them. Thus, kudos to you for helping your daughter see the abundance around her every night. I may have to borrow this bed time ritual, if you don't mind.

p.s. Good luck with NaBloPoMo!

 
At November 2, 2007 at 3:11 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I am thankful for your post and friends like you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home