Friday, October 12, 2007

The Wonderful Wallaby


Still a work in progress, here is the Wonderful Wallaby. This is a great pattern for toddlers through adults, can be made with or without the hood or pocket and is mostly knit in the round with the kitchener stitch being the only seaming needed. However, I need to learn to listen to the pattern, which I almost always do, but these sleeves are far too long. I thought to myself "I want add some length to this sweater so Buttons will be able to to wear it longer (like up to age 10?). Yeah, well the picture above has 2 roll ups and I think that's one too many. My friend Pat is going to show me how I can cut my knitting and finish the cuffs from the top down. Yeah, I know. She's good. She taught me how to knit and I feel like thanking her daily for that.

I need to finish the hood, and then I'll do the kitchener stitch under the arms and hood, weave in the ends and then deal with the sleeves. Hmm, maybe her arms will grow longer than the rest of her and I can leave it as is? She was born in the year of the monkey after all.I used Rowan All Seasons Cotton using a size 7 for the seed stitch cuffs and edging and 9 for the body and I really like it. Recommended needle sizes are 6 and 8, but I'm a tight knitter so I went for gauge and they recommend ribbing instead of seed stitch, but I liked Beth's so much, I copied her. It's color 209 (Heart) , 60% cotton and 40% acrylic, washable, very soft and yet very nice to knit. My friend Marsha did get a great deal on "e-boy" and I purchased a whole bag for a song.Perhaps I'll post another picture when it's all done, but it's a bit hard to get excited by finishing a sweater for Buttons while she's still wearing shorts. Where is autumn?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At October 12, 2007 at 7:55 AM, Blogger Imperatrix said...

It looks cute, but yeah, probably shorter sleeves would work. :-)

On the other hand, how many times have I made something for Impera and then she went and outgrew it in three weeks? But when things get too short for her, it's more noticeable at the waist than at the wrist.

I love the collar, too (or are you making a hoodie?)

 
At October 12, 2007 at 9:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a darling picture! You'll have to post a tutorial on shortening sleeves!

I've wanted to try that pattern. It's such a cute sweater for everyone.

 
At October 12, 2007 at 11:12 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Super cute!! I love the color of that variegated All Seasons Cotton! Pink is her color for sure.

 
At October 12, 2007 at 12:31 PM, Blogger wzgirl said...

Great work, you. I love Buttons happy, squinty smile!

 
At October 12, 2007 at 1:43 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

Imperatrix, Yes I'm making a hoodie.

Purl, If I get enough chutzpah to do the sleeves, I'll post a tutorial. The pattern is great!

Robin, Thanks. She also looks fantastic in navy and brown.

WZgirl, I'm partial to that smile as well. Thanks.

 
At October 13, 2007 at 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the little girl is so cute. happy ww

 
At October 14, 2007 at 10:43 AM, Blogger Katie J said...

Thank you Dana, we sure think so.

 
At October 15, 2007 at 12:45 PM, Blogger walternatives said...

You are so incredibly talented. I'm in awe...

 
At October 16, 2007 at 10:11 PM, Blogger insanemommy said...

You made it?! Wow. You're awesome.

 
At October 29, 2007 at 7:16 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Great looking Wallaby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home