Friday, January 16, 2009

Passages

"When you go owling
you don't need words
or warm
or anything but hope.
That's what Pa says.
The kind of hope
that flies
on silent wings
under a shining
Owl Moon."

-Jane Yolen
Owl Moon


On January 13th, my grandpa's life ended in a peaceful way. In his life he had many losses, but he always kept above water in times when I wonder if I might have drowned. He spent his life in service, first in the military helping set up a blood bank along with a radar system in World War II. In civilian life, he dedicated his time to helping people as a city manager for 3 different cities.

His goal was to learn to do something new every year. I remember shortly after Grandma K. died he filled his house with macrame. After making a trip out west with Grandma M. he took up painting and like Georgia O'Keefe, was inspired by this trip. He and Grandma M. flew to Australia and I wouldn't doubt it if someone told me he wrestled an alligator there.

He made wine and you only needed one glass to get a really decent buzz and while strong, most of it was pretty good. Heaven help you if you had the dandelion vino though. He baked bread and made elderberry wine and jam to go with it. He was a fierce gardener and always fed the birds and watched them with such joy. (I often thought that if it was a choice to feed himself or the birds, his feathered friends would have made out like bandits.)

Grandma K. died when I was 5 and I don't think I went to her funeral. Grandma M. died almost exactly 1 year ago and neither she or Grandpa wanted a funeral service, so I'm trying to do a little closure for both of them. I'm hoping that at least our family can get together and remember my Grandpa and honor his life with stories, tears, food and a lot of wine.

Maybe I'll even learn to macrame this year, Grandpa.
I will miss your silliness, your laughter, you zest for life and your beautiful blue eyes.
Thank you for the gift of your daughter as my mom.


Labels:

3 Comments:

At January 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Blogger Moppott said...

Beautiful sentiment, sweetheart. This writing ability seems to run in the family...along with a sensitive, kind heart. I really miss your grandpa / my dad already. Love! mom

 
At January 19, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Awwww, what beautiful words. Your grandpa looks like a kind and huggable man, that must be where you get it from.

Hugs to you my friend, I'm sorry about your loss.

 
At January 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home