Thursday, November 06, 2008

Work To Be Done (in which I talk about gay marriage)

It is hard for me to fathom. Why can't we allow (celebrate) all people who love each other to marry? The arguments against it just don't ring true to me. How does giving rights to a group of people take anything away from another group of people? The people who want to marry are people who love one another and just want to make it official and proclaim their love to each other in front of their family and friends. Yes, I know many people will throw the bible in on this one and I have to say a few things about that. First, the bible can be viewed in many ways and can be infinitely distorted. Second, our country was supposed to be founded on a separation of church and state. Third, doesn't the bible say "judge not lest ye be judged"? I am not in any way saying that I'm a biblical scholar, but I do believe in a separation of church and state.

Racism kept a ban on interracial marriage for a long time. How long before this country realizes that keeping gays and lesbians from getting married is taking away what should be their right too? Wouldn't it be wonderful if President Obama had an openly gay woman or man in his cabinet? That might be a start. This country made me proud on Tuesday with the election of our 44th president. I look forward to the day that this country makes me proud on this issue.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 7, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Amen to that!

 
At November 7, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What she said!

I keep remembering that President-Elect Obama (I love saying that!) was born when some states outlawed interracial marriage.

 
At November 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Blogger Josh Dermer said...

Here's an idea for a compromise: let's get civil government out of the marriage business entirely. That would be one less issue to divide the people of this country.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home