Thursday, October 23, 2008

Almost, Maine

I started theater late in life even though it was something I always wanted to do. When we were waiting for Buttons I knew I needed something to take my mind off the wait (of course our wait was nothing compared to the parents who wait now). In the fall of 2004 I met the director of the upcoming show The Sound of Music in our local community theater. I decided on a whim I would audition. I wound up playing the part of Sr. Margaretta and the bug bit me big time.

In subsequent shows I was part of the ensemble in the musicals of this director and it was a great experience, but I really wanted to act (well, try to act) so I auditioned for Steel Magnolias, but was told I was too young for the part of Truvy. Well, my confidence waned a bit but I auditioned for Almost, Maine and was cast as Marvalyn, a woman whose relationship is not going well, but a man she meets in a laundry room gives her a wake up call. After auditioning for AM, I was asked to step into the part of O'Brien in Treasure Island less than a week before the show opened and I did it.

I'm now going to be the assistant director of our Christmas show and I'm going to be a part of two one act shows coming up in the new year. The reason I'm sharing all of this with you? I'm amazed at where this ride has taken me. I'm so glad I went to that first audition even though I was very scared to do it. If there's something you want to do but have a little fear about it, why not try jumping in now? The water is a bit cold at first, but it gets warmer and then you'll never want to get out.

Also...if you get a chance, go see the show (or, audition for )Almost, Maine.
It's really a sweet show, with some bitters thrown in for good measure.



Marvalyn hits Steve with an ironing board. Don't try this at home!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 28, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Blogger insanemommy said...

The director?! Omg. Wow, Katie. How impressive..... Wish I lived closer to see the play. Not that we don't have plays in DC. ha ha..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home