Thursday, January 17, 2008

My 85 Year Old Daughter


Yes, this is a post about Christmas. Yes, January is half over. Yes, our Christmas tree is still standing proud in our living room. (Ok, maybe not proud, but definitely standing.)

The Setting:
It's Christmas morning and my mom, her partner J., my brother G., Hubby and I are all anxious to watch the joy on Buttons' face as Santa's goodies are revealed to her.

The Back Stories:
We decided to let Buttons help with our kitty's stocking this year because we know how busy Santa can be. So, she helped pick out all the goodies.
Santa doesn't wrap our gifts, so all of the goodies are seen at one time. (Some friends call this laziness, but this is how Santa played it in my day as well.)
There had also been discussion about J. having some back issues after the long drive to our house and her need to sit in a straight back chair.

The Scene:
Buttons comes down the stairs and immediately focuses on the cat stocking. She proceeds to find the hairball remedy and call our cat's name for a good long time. This is the treat she's sure her feline buddy will have been waiting for all season.
(The above picture shows her holding the yummy treat.)
We let her know that the kitty may be tired and we'll look for her later.

Then we ask her about the Santa loot. She stands in front of it, looks around at it and declares "there are too many toys." Mind you, I tried to remind Santa to keep it down this year and thought he did a good job. Hmm, the three-year-old thinks there's too much, so we'll have to pare down even more next year.

She then backs away from the toys, holds her side and declares that her back is hurting and she needs to sit down.

Looking back I imagined that Buttons was an 85 year-old woman complaining about the cat hairballs, having too many toys, and her sciatica acting up again. This was not the Norman Rockwell Christmas morning I imagined. It was much funnier than that.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At January 17, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Blogger walternatives said...

That is hysterical. I frightened our sleeping cat when I laughed outloud - so funny. I hope Buttons' back felt better soon, and that she was able to enjoy all her loot.

It still tickles me so on the 2nd read...

 
At January 18, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Blogger Robin said...

That is hilarious!! I guess she truly is an "old soul"! LOL.

 
At January 18, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never accused you (or any of Santa's other adult accomplices) of being lazy--just the jolly old elf himself.

I mean, really--he's got a whole army of elf minions, and he has the ability to bend time. He can't find a few minutes here and there to get all the gifts wrapped before he delivers them? :)

 
At January 24, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously, Marsha you need a reality check on just how many presents WERE wrapped on Christmas morning at Button's home. It took the whole day practically to unwrap them!! LOL Agreat time was had by all...even Santa I think!!
:-) Nani

 

Post a Comment

<< Home