Thursday, July 20, 2006

My Girl Wants to Potty All the Time

 
There once was a girl named Buttons who had a friend named T. who had a potty in her house where she could go and pee. Everytime that T. went pee, Buttons was sure to go. But as Buttons sat down on the pot, alas there was no flow.

Button's mama thought "you're much too young for a potty", but then Buttons would point to her diaper and tell mama about the functions of her body. "Diaper", "stinky" and "poo poo" were the words she used to describe it, so her mama went onthe internet for education and to buy a yellow "pit".

This rhyming post has been such fun,
But I'm not that good and so I'm done.

Ok, so I know 21 months is a bit young to start the big training, but when did you start, how did you know the time was right and what method and/or books did you use? Also, I'm just at the beginning of this process but already I'm wondering how long should I expect this to be a topic of discussion with my hubby and with other parents? My hubby and I were kind of excited that we were no longer in the stage of describing every bowel movement. Although, I'm sure we will have many fun stories to go along with the potty training.

This is actually my second draft of this post because my first one is out there in the ether somewhere. Oh well, that one had no rhyming whatsoever. And yes, I know this title is cheesy, but it made you laugh or groan. My job is done.

Update on previous post: Buttons has napped a little better over the past few days and my secret is having a book in her room for me to read when she just needs a calming presence in order to fall asleep. Bonus? I'm getting caught up on my reading. Downside? Housework is suffering. Long-term benefits? Unsure, but hopefully a daughter who knows I'm there for her and will eventually sleep with confidence.

5 Comments:

At July 20, 2006 at 5:35 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Leah was two and a half when I potty trained her. She wanted to go to preschool but in order to do so she had to be potty trained. She was more than willing to do it since she wanted to go to school so bad. One day I took off her diaper and didn't put it on again. It made for a messy week, but worked!

 
At July 20, 2006 at 10:22 AM, Blogger Marsha said...

Hey, if she's showing an interest in using a potty, it's not too early to teach her how to use it. (How did you decide which potty to get, by the way? There are about nine million different types out there...)

Go, Buttons, go! (And of course I mean "go" in multiple senses here.)

 
At July 20, 2006 at 12:43 PM, Blogger Katie J said...

I went on Amaz*n and read some reviews. The Baby Bj*rn received high marks and looked easy to clean and non-pinching so I ordered 3 different styles and Buttons chose yellow for each one (of course). They aren't cheap, but right now I'm happy with our purchase. I'll let you know more once they've been used.

 
At July 21, 2006 at 2:46 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

You go girl. I bought a potty chair for Allison two weeks ago & intend on trying next week - after our zoo trip, of course. She is showing early signs of readiness too. My niece was potty trained at this age - she showed interest & it worked. I'm not putting pressure on myself or Allison at this point, but since she is always telling me when she has to go, or when she has gone, and she then fetches the diaper and wipes without prompting - she may be ready. We'll see.

BTW, I don't have any tips for potty training since Brent is still in them - JUST KIDDING, but I was sure he would be sent off to college in Depends. I've been told by many that girls are easier & I'm hoping they're right.

Chow!

 
At July 21, 2006 at 7:45 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

You know, if you could just add a sound clip of Eddie Murphy singing the title of your post, this would be the Most Perfect Blog Post Evah. Heh. (Sorry--I have that song stuck in my head!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home