Friday, November 11, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like...


Christmas? Yes, I know it's early. Perhaps you won't read the rest of this because it's not even Thanksgiving, for Pete's sake. Yet, for some reason I'm ready to start decking the halls, singing carols and making cookies. I've been sick all week, which is the reason for my lapse in posting since coughing and lack of sleep makes for terrible blog posts.

However, being sick does make you take stock and also provides time for knitting. After the tragedy in Joplin, a friend asked the people in our knitting group if we would be interested in donating Christmas ornaments to a family she knows in Joplin who lost their home and all of their possessions. Many of us are making or donating items to send to them as well as extra so they can give some ornaments to others.

If I lost my home, I would certainly be grateful that my family and I were healthy and ok. Would I miss my furniture or pots and pans? Maybe a little, but the treasured photos and the homemade Christmas ornaments Z made would be missed most. So, while I can't give the families in Joplin their ornaments, I can at least give them a homemade ornament from us. Z and I have been making reindeer out of clothes pins and decorating foam Christmas trees, Gingerbread people and houses with glitter and I've been making these addictive little hats out of leftover yarn from other projects.

Part of the reason I've started to do Christmas early is the fact that Z and I are in a Christmas show and we'll be busy. We're going to have family visiting and sharing Christmas with us starting on Thanksgiving. I want to get everything ready, so we'll really get the joy of the season. The other reason I'm starting early is I'm so very thankful for all that I have and I'm hoping to give a little Christmas to someone else this year who may need their spirit lifted.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Adorable knits! I have my needles out too.

 
At November 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Anonymous imperatrix said...

I always thought the holidays should be kept sacred, beginnig only AFTER thanksgiving. But then I realized that getting a head start means that I wouldn't feel so rushed during the days of december. Sounds like a plan.

Hope you and Z have a great time being in a show together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home